Mar 2, 2021
[3:27] — Max’s background on B2B
Max joined the sales side of Udemy, an online education
- He wondered how he could generate more revenue with fewer
resources, which became the sales hacking foundation.
- Max started his company, Sales Hacker, which grew from 0 to
- In 2018, Sales Hacker was acquired by Outreach, where he took
over as the VP of Marketing for Outreach and then transitioned to
the VP of Sales Engagement.
[5:53] — Why sales have become more difficult
through the years
The number of companies selling keeps growing.
- There are now a lot of channels for people to sell on.
- Sales became more competitive when SaaS companies started to
- When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, businesses became limited to
online channels of selling. This means that the market has become
- If they want to survive in the competitive environment of
sales, businesses must know how to experiment and adapt using A/B
[8:39] — Strategies to grow SaaS
Upsell your current base.
- Get a list or database of your target market.
- From that database, find trends that you can use for lead
- Think about how to reach the different cohorts of that
- Gather good reviews from supporting customers to help attract
- Collect important information from potential customers like
their needs, interests, and resources.
[17:18] — Scaling up your business and building a
Sales are not one-size-fits-all. Try experimenting, see what works,
and iterate on that.
- Understand your customers’ day-to-day. Then design a process
for reaching out to them.
- Make sure that you are seen as a trusted consultant, not as a
[22:29] — How to design your outreach campaign for
desktop emails and mobile emails
You can do longer subject lines for emails your customers will view
on a desktop. You can also get creative and send PDFs or
- For mobile emails, do shorter and more conversational subject
- Think about the process of closing a deal step-by-step.
[26:28] — A product-led growth strategy can impact
your messaging approach
In product-led growth, there’s no need to employ as many
salespeople. This can mean lower costs compared to sales-led
- Sales become more transactional rather than
- You’ll still want to highlight the benefits of your
- Whether you employ a product-led growth strategy or a sales-led
growth strategy, you'll still need to hire salespeople or support
to ensure your product's success.
[29:35] — Other mistakes that people make in their
B2B sales efforts
The silver bullet strategy doesn’t allow you to apply the
appropriate marketing methods to some of your customers.
- False attribution or tying attribution to the wrong metric can
mean that you can't accurately measure your progress.
[31:46] — Max’s favorite sales hacking training
In 2015, Max wrote a book called Hacking Sales, which goes
over many sales tools and technologies.
- Max’s latest book, Sales Engagement, is about engaging
with companies in this ever-changing world.
- Other books that Max likes include Chris Voss’s Never Split
the Difference, Mark Roberge’s The Sales Acceleration
Formula, Trish Bertuzzi’s The Sales Development
Playbook, Keenan’s Gap Selling, and books by Anthony
Iannarino and Jeb Blount.
- Max also uses the Outreach software as his sales
- He also recommends having net new data sources from companies
like LeadIQ, Seamless.AI, and Dun &
- Having software like Bambora, Terminus,
Demandbase, and Sixth Sense will tell you which
companies you should target.
[34:39] — Sentiment tracking by
Reply rates as a metric of success isn’t enough.
- It's also essential to analyze reply intent, such as positive
replies, objections, and unsubscribes.
- Outreach has recently released a sentiment tracking
tool that better measures your success using a reply intent
- This tool enables companies to understand if certain email
sequences are truly working or not.